Thursday 15 October 2015

Plumbing - Not just for the boys


Sarah Osborne has been running her plumbing business, JustSoPlumbing for a little over six years. Her business has, understandably grown over that time and she now employs an apprentice. Art of Clean contacted her recently to ask a little more about her life as a plumber, a female plumber in a male plumbing world…well, Cambridge.


When and why did you start working in this area?

"I started my business in jan 2009 after training the previous year"

·         What has been your biggest challenge?

"Running my business whilst also trying to be a mum to my 14month old!"

·         Have you found being a woman and a plumber has been a hindrance or a help?

"As with most things it's both, many people prefer a woman in their house and feel safer, but there are also plenty who as a woman I may not be strong enough to do a job"

·         How has your business changed over the years?

"I don't feel my business has changed much, it's grown and I now have an apprentice, but in general the business is still the same, offering a friendly professional service"

·         What do you find most enjoyable about working in your chosen field?

"The customers, every day is different, 90% of my work is word of mouth, so I have a great customer base of wonderfully interesting people"

·         Do you have any anecdotes about your life in the industry?

"There are many, but I sadly can't think of a shareable one"

·         How has social media affected your business?

"It hasn't yet, but there's still time!"

·         Would you recommend more women to become plumbers?


"Of course, it's a great industry and it’s always good to keep the men on their toes!"